Wednesday, January 21, 2009

To Keep You Warm

It has been colder than (insert your own word or phase here) outside! I made a few things to help keep warm.

I made 3 pairs of these hand warming gloves last weekend. They really do work and stay warm for a short period of time. They were sew easy to make also. I followed these simple instructions. It only took about 20 minutes to make each pair. Here is a picture of them turned inside out. (Please excuse my lousy photography skills in all pictures below!)

All you need is a cheap pair of gloves, felt, and rice. (Well, obviously a sewing machine, needle, and thread)

I also made a zillion of these handmade heating pillows. They only took about 10 minutes to make. Cut a piece of fabric the length you want your pillow and double the size you would like for the width to be.

Fold the fabric to make a small hem along the width of the fabric. (Do as I say, not as I do...wash and iron your fabric first!)

(And yes, I am cutting my fabric on my living room floor. I couldn't seem to pull myself away from the TV. I've got to get that TV hooked up in my sewing room!)

Fold the fabric in half (right sides together). Sew up bottom and side. Turn inside out.

Fill with rice and any fragrance you like about 2/3 full. I used dried lavender. Sew up your hemmed edge. Pop in the microwave until desired heat is reached. I heated for 1.5 minutes then turned pillow over and heated for another 1 minute. The pillow will sweat the first few times you microwave it, so place paper towels underneath it to soak up the moisture.


Viola! A new heating pillow to curl up with on chilly nights!

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say again that I LOVE my pillow! It really helps with my neck.....THANKS AGAIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete